Xiaomi Mijia Aqara G2 Camera and Zigbee Gateway
IP cameras are hot, very useful and currently much cheaper than they ever where before. The form factor becomes smaller but the specifications are become better, with stunning image quality both during the day and at night. Also the functionalities of the cheap cameras increase. The Xiaomi Mijia Aqara G2 is an interesting IP camera: on one hand it is a decent camera, but it also acts as a smart gateway for your Zigbee devices. This means that you, by using the Mi Home Application, can use this camera as gateway or gateway extender and extend the reach of your Zigbee network.
Specifications of the Aqara G2
- AI image recognition technology
- Support two-way voice, smooth call without obstacles
- Time-lapse shooting function, can automatically record the beautiful moments in life
- 8m night vision distance
- 140 degree wide angle, minimize monitoring dead angle
- Input voltage: 5V / 1A
- USB power cable: 2 meters
|Brand||Aqara(Xiaomi Ecological Chain)|
|Model||G2 Gateway Smart IP Camera|
|Lens||140° Ultra-wide Angle|
|Dimension||82.4 x 56.5 x 50.5 mm|
|Input||DC 5V / 1A|
|Total Power||5W max|
|Operating Temperature||-10℃ – 40℃|
|Wireless Protocol||WIFI IEEE802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz, Zig.Bee|
|Local Storage||Micro SD Card (Support CLASS 4 or above, 32GB max )|
I already own two Xiaomi cameras and a Zigbee gateway, so i know what at least to expect: A camera with nice specs, simple to use in the Mi Home App and a beautiful and simplistic design.
Product weight: 0.1120 kg
Package weight: 0.2160 kg
Product size (L x W x H): 8.24 x 5.65 x 5.05 cm / 3.24 x 2.22 x 1.99 inches
Package size (L x W x H): 11.70 x 9.10 x 8.40 cm / 4.61 x 3.58 x 3.31 inches
What’s in the box?
The content of the package:
- The small Camera itself,
- a Power Adapter,
- an USB Power Cable,
- Accessory Kit to mount,
- And as we could expect from Xiaomi: a Chinese Manual
Features of the Xiaomi Mijia Aqara G2 Camera
The Xiaomi Aqara G2 smart camera has some amazing features to catch the eye of gadget lovers. Therefore, here are the top features:
- Easy to install and use
- AI image recognition technology
- Smart home features due to the gateway function based on Zigbee 3.0
- Long range of visibility even in the night
- Auto uploading of videos to cloud storage
- Create timelapse videos
Installation is a simple process and similar as the installation of the dafang camera.
- Open the Mi home app, click on the ‘+’ icon to add the camera.
- Find and select the Aqara G2 camera.
- Wait for the voice prompt in Chinese (don’t know what it says), and click next.
- Then you get a QR code on your phone which you have to let see the camera to begin the installation.
- You will hear another voice prompt, and the camera will then begin installing.
- Give the Device a friendly name and choose the room where the camera is located.
- That’s all. ready to stream!
Of course the camera has the same functionalities as the xiaofang and dafang. Live stream, recording etc. But unique to this camera is the possibilities to add Xiaomi Aqara smart devices, because it’s also a Zigbee gateway.
Another nice function is the time-lapse. You can activate time-lapse videos in the camera settings. The options you have are basic: start and end time, and repeat. By default the time-lapse videos are available in album management. Mi Home sends a push message to indicate that the video is finished and available to watch. The settings I miss are more advanced time-lapse settings, like specifying how much frames per time unit.
Besides the default storage option (recording to cloud) you are able to use your own SD card or record but it misses the option to record to a local NAS share.
Build Quality & Design
This camera stands on a little foot so it’s easy to mount it, but if you see this minion and the camera itself they are looking very similar. Was Xiaomi inspired by the minions?
The Xiaomi Aqara G2 is a nice small devices with a strong magnet mounted on the base. The base can be attached on the surface of iron-containing objects. Therefore it is supporting a variety of installation methods, such as placing, wall attachment, where you want to put it.
Home automation compatible?
The Aqara G2 smart camera is not only a security camera, but also a smart home gateway based on Zigbee 3.0. So you can link sensors or other smart home devices and let them communicate with each other. For exemple shoot a photo when door opens, close the curtains as, you name it. It can all be done from the Mi-Home app.
And as you probably know from us, we like the mi home app, but we also want to include devices in our central smart home systems as Domoticz of Home assistant. And that is not possible in an easy way (for now).
Complementary Products / Alternatives
If you want a camera that is compatible with Mi Home, but also with Domoticz or Home Assistant, you can look into the camera’s below. They are flashable as you can read in our other articles (search on xiaofang or dafang on Gadget-freakz.com). But of course they don’t have the gateway possibilities.
Where to buy?
The quality of the Xiaomi Mijia Aqara G2 camera is good, the software is good and simple to use and the price is low. Therefor a good price quality score. The only downside is that it is not compatible in Synology surveillance station or Domoticz and Home-Assistant. So if you need a IP camera that requires integration into these systems, you should have a look at the alternatives mentioned before. If you don’t mind these limitations, you can safely purchase the Aqara G2.
- Zigbee gateway 3.0
- Multiple video quality and storage options
- Time Lapse and DVR Recording
- Mounting posibilities
- Timelapse creation
- 2 way communication sound/microphone
- Very affordable
- Not compatible with Domoticz or Home Assistant (in an easy way)
- No recording to a local network share.