I recently noticed that I use batteries more often than I initially thought. I think it is a waste of money to buy new batteries when they are empty. So why not go for rechargeable batteries and charge them by plugging a battery charger into my laptop? It is always standby and within reach.
So I searched for a battery charger and found the USB Battery Charger: zanflare HXY – H2m Versatile USB Battery Charger. Let’s find out if it’s really that handy.
- 1 Specifications
- 2 Packaging specifications
- 3 What’s in the box
- 4 Features
- 5 Test
- 6 pro / cons
- 7 Price quality
- 8 Where to buy the USB Battery Charger?
- Input: DC 5V 2A
- Charging current: rechargeable Li-ion batteries 4.2V, 300mA / 500mA / 1000mA // rechargeable Ni-MH batteries ( or Ni-Cd batteries ) 1.5V, 300mA / 500mA / 1000mA
- Output: USB 5V 2A
- Material: ABS
Product weight: 0.0940 kg
Package weight: 0.1220 kg
Product size (L x W x H): 11.70 x 6.20 x 3.20 cm / 4.61 x 2.44 x 1.26 inches
Package size (L x W x H): 12.80 x 7.20 x 3.80 cm / 5.04 x 2.83 x 1.5 inches
Does it fit your mailbox?
Yes it does 🙂
What’s in the box
The charger itself, a very short USB cable and a multilingual user manual (English, Italian, Spanish, German and Chinese)
- Capable of charging two batteries simultaneously
- Automatically stops charging when complete
- Pocket size
- Multiple protections
- over-voltage, over current, short circuit protection, battery reverse polarity protection, smart identification of damaged batteries and 0 V voltage activation function.
- 3 different charging current options to choose from 300 mA / 500 mA / 1000 mA
- The zanflare USB battery charger is not only suitable for various rechargeable batteries: Li-ion, Ni-MH and Ni-Cd; but also equipped with a 5V 2A USB port to charge directly your iPad, iPhone, or other devices.
- Provided with integrated LCD display to monitor the information of the two charging slots: charging voltage, charging current and the battery level.
- And with charging indicator, it is easy to monitor the charging state, you can still lean on the sofa, and just read the charger on the desk: when the battery is in charging status, the light will turn red; when the battery is fully charged, the light turns green.
To test this charger I used my Notebook Pro USB 3 port and used the included USB cable to charge 2 2700 AA batteries from GP. After placing the batteries in the socket I let it charging for about an hour. When charging is completed, the charger gives you a clear green LED.
When finished I removed one battery and the display updates immediately that the battery holder is empty. When inserting another empty very old 2500 GP Battery there was a message ‘Err’ shown in the LCD screen: it displays “Err” if the battery is wrongly inserted or when it is damaged. I think the battery is dead (there was also a little bit of white residue on the + pole.
I don’t have the knowledge nor hardware to test this charger in depth with fancy graphs etc. But charging your batteries won’t be a problem I can assure.
Build Quality & Design
It’s made from ABS and it’s black. It feels very solid and it’s lightweight.
The LED’s are also buttons to change info on the screen, however, I did not notice this the first time I used the device.
Heath / Power consumption /Noise
After an hour of charging the charger was not warm at all. The charger is completely silent when on standby and even when charging.
Portability / Mobility
Because the charger is lightweight and small it is easy to carry with you. Because of the USB connection it is easy to charge on a USB charger on a computer.
There is also an bigger charger of zanflare available. In contrast to the unit we tested, this Zanflare c4 can charge four batteries simultaneous and has many more options.
pro / cons
- Multi-language manual.
- Very portable and handy.
- Rock Solid.
- Because of the indicator it is easy to check when charged completely.
- Good price.
- Not compatible with LiFePO4 batteries
- Short USB Cable
- Because it is suitable for multiple batteries AA batteries are placed a little bit strange in the holder.
For around 17 dollar you will never run out of full batteries. So therefore it is a good buy, which probably will charge your batteries for many years.
Where to buy the USB Battery Charger?