Zigbee2MQTT 1.7: New minor version with new major features!
As you know we love the zigbee2mqtt project. Great news for everyone who wants to be in control of all the Zigbee powered devices in their home by using Zigbee2MQTT! A new version has just been released. But don’t overlook this release, because version 1.7 is a minor update with some major changes. A lot of Fixes, a bunch of new supported devices and two new supported boards (which are better than the much cheaper CC2531). If you are running the Hassio.io Addon the update is already available. Please continue reading to know what’s changed and why we are so happy with the work of Koen Kanters and all the others who put in a lot of effort in Zigbee2MQTT 1.7.
Changelog of Zigbee2MQTT 1.7
The changelog is quite impressive!
- Once upgraded from 1.6.0 to 1.7.0 you cannot switch back to 1.6.0 when not having a backup of the database.db !
- Zigbee2MQTT 1.7 has fully been refactored from zigbee-shepherd to the new zigbee-herdsman, among many other things, it improves:
- Pairing of devices, especially Xiaomi battery powered ones.
- Logging, it is now much clearer when a devices connects and pairs successfully
- Speed and stability
- For more, read #1888
- The new CC26X2R1 and CC1352P-2 are now officially supported, these 2 adapters are a powerful alternative to the CC2530/CC2531 which can become unstable in larger networks. For more info read Supported adapters
- For Docker users: Zigbee2MQTT switched to manifest listed images, user that are currently using the arm32v6 or arm64v8 should switch to the latest tag. Fore more info read Docker.
- #1948 Specify default transition for groups (documentation)
- #1910 Add last_seen in zigbee2mqtt/bridge/config/devices/get result
- #764 Allow to control group optimistic mode (documentation)
- #2089 Allow to disable Home Assistant discovery for a device (documentation)
- #2201 #2209 Allow to store MQTT credentials and network_key separate from configuration.yaml (documentation)
- #2264 Allow to add group with ID via MQTT. (documentation)
- Make force remove explicit (documentation)
- #2020 More properties for Coordinator
- #592 Improved Livolo compatibility
- Verify configuration.yaml schema on startup
- Logging layout
- #1876 Don’t allow duplicate friendly_name
- #764 Publish state change for group members when group changes it’s state (documentation)
- Publish color_temp when setting xy and xy when setting color_temp when device (bulb) supports it.
- #641 Xiaomi MFKZQ01LM Mi/Aqara smart home cube add side for flip90 event
- #675 Improved IKEA ICTC-G-1 TRADFRI wireless dimmer integration
- #671 Support power readings and state changes via button for Iris 3210-L Smart plug
- #2124 Improve Eurotronic SPZB0001 Spirit Zigbee wireless heater thermostat integration
- #2156 Improve support for MCT-340 E, MCT-340 SMA, XHS2-SE
- #2122 Poll Hue bulb brightness when changed via Hue dimmer switch or IKEA TRADFRI remote control when reporting feature is used
- #2256 Add device name to “failed to ping” message
- #2113 Xiaomi JTYJ-GD-01LM/BW MiJia Honeywell smoke detector support selftest, sensitivity and smoke density (documentation)
- #2017 Fix devices dropping from network
- #2059 Fix IKEA E1743 TRADFRI ON/OFF switch controlling Xiaomi ZNCZ02LM Mi power plug ZigBee
- #1965 device_group_add/remove log format not correct
- #1967 Xiaomi SJCGQ11LM Water Sensor – False Positives
- #2033 Don’t publish cached states when cache_state is disabled
- #2052 Docker Timezone not working
- #897 Prevent SML001 red LED blinking on motion detection
- #1731 #1711 Fixed integration of various Gledopto bulbs and LED controllers
- #2071 Read-only configuration file
- #2094 Missing climate entity for Eurotronic SPZB0001
- #1810 Brightness not applied for IKEA TRADFRI bulbs when setting both color temperature and brightness.
- #2233 Salus SP600 power measurement under-read by factor of 10
- #2250 Subscribe to nested topics for bind
- #2220 Presence of transition parameter influences brightness in ON and OFF command
The new supported devices list is too long to show here!
original source: https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt/releases
The things I like the most
- #2113 Xiaomi JTYJ-GD-01LM/BW MiJia Honeywell smoke detector support selftest, sensitivity and smoke density (documentation).
- zigbee2mqtt/bridge/config/remove improved
- new adapters! (Gonna test them instead of my cc2531)
- better pairing and logging
https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/information/supported_adapters.html for more info.
Difference between the two new added boards:
The new supported SOC boards have some improvements over the use of the CC2531.
– No debugger and flasher needed, it’s built in.
– Support the Zigbee 3.0 protocol.
– More powerfull and a better range.
- 👍 Has a built in PA/LNA for potentially better range (assuming Z2M will support enablement – enhancement is raised). RF design includes shield.
- 👍 Has a built in SMA antenna connector (although its necessary to de/re-solder a tiny SMD capacitor to switch from PCB antenna to SMA. Should provide increase in range.
- 👍 Can support sub 1GHz – opening the possibility for 868MHz (EU) and 915MHz (NA) zigbee for better range (technically possible but no idea how many end devices support it) and possibly other applications in the future… IMO this “benefit” should not be a consideration at the point.
- 👎 Bigger PCB (~2cm) than the CC26X2R1
- 👎 A little ($10) more expensive than the CC26X2R1
- There are two versions with different RF suitability – The P-2 version favours 2.4GHz rather than sub 1GHz and this would be the recommended version to obtain for Z2M
- 👍 STL for 3D printed case here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3928171
- 👍 Slightly smaller PCB than the CC1352P
- 👍 A little cheaper than the CC1352P and more sellers than just TI.
- 👍 There is a STL for 3D printed case: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3305478
- 👍 Another STL for 3D printed case here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3928171
- 👎 Theoretically less range than CC1352P due to lack of RF frontend
- 👎 Possibility to use external antenna (with move of the tiny SMD capacitor) but the required JSC-SMA antenna adaptor is not cheap (~20 euros)
- 👎 No support for sub-1GHz but there is no clear advantage of this currently
Conclusion on Zigbee2MQTT 1.7 update
So if you are running a Docker container or have Zigbee2MQTT installed manually, we recommend that you update to Zigbee2MQTT 1.7 right away.
If you are running the Hassio Addon from Daniel Welch
you need to have a little patience. Keep an eye on https://github.com/danielwelch/hassio-zigbee2mqtt for an update.
Go to home assistant > Hass.io en see this:
For Domoticz watch: https://github.com/stas-demydiuk/domoticz-zigbee2mqtt-plugin
You can also check out our tutorial on how to get started with Zigbee2MQTT.